Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Peanut Butter Race, New Bethlehem, PA

Peanut Butter Race, New Bethlehem, PA
This was only my second 15 mile race and I had learned alot from the last one. I was more prepared this time. The race was a mass start and I lined up at the front next to Bob and the race coordinator. I wasn't sure I "belonged" there but Bob kept me there. We started out on a downhill paved road that lead to a gradual hill, cut left and down to the notorious "bottleneck". I had let a several of riders pass me knowing that a lot can happen in 15 miles. Everyone bunched up at the bottom and made a mad scramble up the other side. It had rained on Thursday so the trail was still wet. Several riders slid off the trail and down an embankment. I had decided to make small goals throughout the race to help keep me focused on my efforts. I spotted another girl rider and set my sights on catching her. Next was a fast descent and 1/2 mile through some nice singletrack that opened up onto the spoil piles. They had some great double jumps and steep drops. I caught up to the girl on these drops and saw my chance to pass her. I got around her on a short uphill that cut hard right and lead to a steep drop followed by a nice double track where I picked up the pace to lengthen my lead over her. Next I set my sights on a rider who has several years of experience on me and I have ridden with before. He kept the pace up and we traded places for probably 5 or 6 miles up some pretty tough hills. The trail lead through some great singletrack with rock gardens and several bridge crossings. It was muddy and the trail was slick from all of the others ahead of me. Despite the other rider's advantage with experience, I was able to keep him in my sights. I had to really watch my line or risk getting sucked into a mudhole and going down. Then came the tunnel that lead to a very steep and long climb. Just when you think you are near the top, you see it continues up through a grass field. They call it the demoralizer. No one around me even tried to ride it.It's off camber and about 1/2 mile long. Once you reach the top the downhill makes it worth the climb! 1.5 miles of doubletrack down! It was great! No rest for your legs though, since you have to maneuver around potholes, puddles, and cowpies! The other rider I was chasing had increased the distance between us and I wasn't able to catch him again. Last leg of the race, now! Short uphill another field crossing and on to the finish line! When I reached the last 2 miles, Bob was there to help bring me in! It was exhilarating to see him there cheering me on. Pushing me. Reminding me why I was doing this. I pushed as hard as I could for the up hill finish. 1:57! My initial goal was to make it under 3. What a rush! This by far was my best race. I really felt like I had accomplished something great. For you, Paul Keener. I love and miss you Grandpa!

Carisa

Perspective is key



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home