Monday, July 26, 2010

2010 Grand View Criterium in Lancaster, PA


Competed in the 2010 Grand View Criterium in Lancaster, Pa on Saturday. The day was wonderfully hot, with temperatures reaching up to 100 degrees in the middle of the day. Again, I love to race/ride in this type of weather and excited at that this was my first road race of the season. We got the usual pre-race meeting prior to the start with the instructions that this is a one mile race course that will last for fifteen miles.
As we started out behind the lead car, I jumped into the top 1/3rd of pack to see what the pace was going to be. After about lap 5 or 6, I started to make a break and pulled to the lead. Seeing that I was able to pull away, I continued and got about 50-75 yards ahead of the main pack. Several riders made a break with me and were right on my wheel. We overtook several riders and I got to witness some gnarly crashes. One rider actually tacoed his rear tire as we were coming up on him as he hit a small hole. Another just layed it down on the straight stretch to the finish line. At lap fourteen, I really opened up with several other riders, but was able to put a small cushion between me and them. During the last quarter mile straight stretch, we all opened up with everything we had, but I was able to cross the finish line first on lap fifteen. I even threw my arms up as I glided across the finish line for the photos. Several riders and I coasted, telling each other good job as the back of the pack came sprinting passed us.




A rider from AFC yelled back "Come on guys, keep up!!" and took off with the small pack. We looked back at the Officials, who were waving us on so we sprinted after them. There was no way we could close the gap on the new leader, so we passed who we could and I unofficially/officially ended 12th out of 30 riders. Not sure how this happens, but for my first race I'll take it. Some of the other riders were not sure either, but said they thought we got first, second, third, etc... also. Plan on doing the road bike race in Kirkwood, Pa on 07 August 2010 if anybody is interested.

Bob





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home